- Glenn Close – Albert Nobbs
- Viola Davis – The Help
- Rooney Mara – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady
- Michelle Williams – My Week with Marilyn
Mara, who beat out any number of equally qualified actresses for that fifth spot.
Where the hell is:
Where to begin? This was a remarkable year for lead actresses
- Kirsten Dunst in Melancholia
- Elizabeth Olsen in Martha Marcy May Marlene
- Charlize Theron in Young Adult
- Kristen Wiig in Bridesmaids
I’ll probably think of some more by the end of the day.
Sorry, but Albert Nobbs was a complete misfire, partly because Close just isn’t convincing in the role. At all.
Davis was the frontrunner, but Streep is moving ahead (she was the only watchable thing about Iron Lady). This will be close – let’s see what the SAG awards give us.